Monday, March 5, 2012

Reflections of Times Past; The Blizzard of '78 and...

I am amazed at how much time has gone by. Let's zip back to the winter of 1977-1978. Now for many you will no doubt recall the blizzard of '78. Most most folks do not realize is that there were actually two major blizzards in 1978. One named "The Great Blizzard of 1978" that affected the Great Lakes and the Ohio Valley that struck January 25-27, 1978. A second blizzard struck the North East of the United States from February 5-8, 1978.

But that's not why I remember that particular winter. Well, I shouldn't say that. I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1978. I grew up there in the 1960's and 1970's on the "West" side of town. Actually only a few miles West of Cincinnati and the town to this day, as far as I know is still unincorporated. Bridgetown is a traffic light and a great place for me to grow up. I really miss the old place on Biehl Ave.

We got 7 inches of snow. The temperature dropped almost thirty degrees when the storm hit and the wind gusted to 60 miles an hour. There were snow drifts like I had never seen in my life (until I moved to the North East, I should have known better!) A Great link for Blizzard of '78 information:

http://hullnantasket.homestead.com/Blizzardlinks.html

Next Week... More of the story!


No comments:

Post a Comment